Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wikis

The only wiki that I've ever used is Wikipedia but that's really all I needed. Has anyone else find that once they go to a Wikipedia entry, it's hard to leave? They have such a comprehensive linking system, anything related gets linked together and you just feel that you have to visit those links for the sake of complete research, or just out of curiosity. For example anyone doing a research on Anne Frank, goes to the entry on Wikipedia and starts reading it. The article contains links to Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam, movies and plays inspired by her diary, anti-semistism and also Time 100: The Most Important People of the Century. I'd be tempted to clink on links to see pictures of Anne Frank's house and Time 100: The most Important People of the Century. Once I click on that, it's pretty much a point of no return because once I go there, there will be something on that page that will distract me and take me further down the road of procrastination by the name of filling my brain with unnecessary information. That's the awesome and slightly additive nature of Wikipedia. But I disgress.


What I'm suppose to tell you about, is the other wikis that exist. Especially the library wikis. I went to the Booklover's Wiki and had a look there. They had recommendations of books that people read over the summer. I liked that if I wanted to find some book to read, I can just come here and look up books that are recommended for people. There are also wikis that teach you how to write resumes, ace job interviews, and um how to pick a pet tarantula for yourself. Fascinating stuff, again stuff that can lead to hours of procrastination. I really must get a hang on my procrastination tendancy.

Image credit: WikiHow

No comments: